Sunday, December 17, 2023

HOLIDAY MEDITATION

A common theme among my friends, most of whom are well into their AARP years, is what seems like an epidemic of dementia and Alzheimers.  My own partner in life, Carol Ann, is deep into what seems a  hopeless decline into oblivion.  I don't know a better way to express it.  Everyone I speak to brings up their own experience, someone of their own family or close circle of friends who has succumbed to the ravages of dementia.  The disease is so powerful in its ability to defy reason and articulate hopelessness.  

This will be the first Christmas in our twenty seven years together that we won't be able to honor the myth with a tree that for many years was cut down and dragged into the house by our own hands.  Boxes of ornaments and holiday memorabilia would be dragged down from the attic and as each ornament was placed on the tree one of us would recite its epochal provenance.

I thought it would never end.  But of course I knew it would.   It's just that these latter years go by so quickly.  Thank you for being there.

Be well.  Stay safe and stay tuned.

                                All my love - - -   Jerry

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO YOU ALL




3 comments:

  1. This Christmas has been crushing and purposefully busy in the attempt to ignore the painful and certain realities of missing my folks. Missing past traditions. I simply can’t wait until it’s over. In honesty, it’s the most empty feeling I’ve ever experienced and I’m trying to lose myself in anything except the holidays. Peace and love, Dad. I feel your pain. Sending hugs. Teri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teri. Funny though, I find that every day or so watching one of those old Xmas RomComs on Netflix kind of cheers me up. Kind of a paradoxical effort I suppose.

      Delete
  2. Jerry, I’m so sorry this has happened to Carol Ann. You certainly had many good years together and have wonderful memories to cherish.

    But, I know how hard it is to lose those we love to this horrible disease. When caring for my mom and Aunt Mag, I took comfort in knowing that they didn’t seem to be in pain. I hope for them, that it was harder on me

    Be well and I’m wishing you a peaceful holiday season. I hope you have joyful days. Miss seeing you.

    Love,
    Cousin Susan

    ReplyDelete