Friday, November 3, 2023

WE ALL FALL DOWN

There isn't much you need to do to be old - just show up.  I understand that there are many impediments to aging, such as disease, accident or being the star in the ultimate reality show: the hideously popular Mass Shooting.  Many people think that in spite of eating your greens and regular exercise the smart money is on pure luck.  At least that's what my doctor tells me and she's not smiling.

Previously, I have mentioned my several falls, all of which, as I think about it, were completely unexpected - even shocking.  In other words, likely to happen again with potentially dire outcomes.  About a year and a half ago I smashed the radius on my right arm while doing nothing more dangerous than turning around in the kitchen.  More recently I knocked the hide off my head and a few other places in a majorly bloody episode while on a neighborhood walk.  For no apparent reason I am careening toward the pavement and I'm like: WTF!   Something is going on and that something needs to be addressed.

Children learn and sing . . . 

Walk around the circle
Walk around the circle
Walking walking
We all fall down

Remember those years when falling was fun - you just tucked your head and rolled up and kept running and falling all over again.

At what point - can you remember - at what point did it begin to frighten you?  Don't worry if you don't yet worry about falling.  I'm in my tenth decade and I only just began to be concerned.  You have time.  (Wink Wink)

Of course, I'm cultivating a working relationship with the neighborhood neurologist.  Here's what he said: Get a walker,  He gave me a prescription for one.  I'm thinking, Won't that make me look old and feeble?  For the time being I put that thought aside.  Which leads me to the next topic -

NOVEMBER IS BIRTHDAY MONTH 

I know this because I have a birthday this month.  Many of my favorite friends are November babies.  My father, John Murdock Henderson was 125 on the first.  Happy birthday, Dad.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY EVERYONE - AND WALK CAREFULLY


2 comments:

  1. I've been using a walking stick for 40 years bc I don't like the idea of falling down in icy parking lots when shopping or going to work. So far so good. So go for it, use the walker. Decorate it with twinkle lights and fluffy garland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anon: I appreciate your years of experience and therefore your wisdom. I definitely will pursue the walker. I’ve been using a cane now for several months and that helps but it’s also a learning curve. Thank you for your comment drop in any time.

      Delete