Tuesday, March 1, 2016

I'LL HIE UNTO MY CAVE AND THINK

One of my favorite bloggers is Shari Eberts who writes <http://www.LivingWith HearingLoss.com>. In her last post, she talks about embarrassment due to hearing loss. And as usual she nails it.
I hardly ever think of it in terms of embarrassment, but it is. I realize that I quickly convert embarrassment into anger and frustration – for me the real bad boys of hearing loss.
I have found that no matter how often you remind someone, including those most intimate, it’s a continuing effort. It is never done. I think that’s the part that is most tiring for me. I want to stomp and yell – HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU THAT I AM DEAF? That’s when I re-visit my childhood fantasies of becoming a hermit. And, we all know how unhealthy that is.
The problem is that hearing loss is totally invisible to others. That it is unseen does not diminish the disability. Therefore the one suffering the disability sees all too clearly while others simply don’t know what to do. There’s enough discomfort to go around.
To hie unto your private hermitage is not the answer. The only effective solution (until, that is, another better solution comes along) is to provide information that is factual and easy to understand for someone who is not as close to the problem as you are. insist upon any accommodation rightfully yours in any social, work or play situation. Insist gently, with real information ready at hand and with your best smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment