Thursday, January 28, 2016

A TIME FOR DREAMS

I READ EVERY DAY ABOUT THESE CRAZY PEOPLE KILLING THE DEFENSELESS AND HARMLESS, DESTROYING ANCIENT SYMBOLS OF LONG GONE CIVILIZATIONS AND DOING IT ALL IN THE NAME OF THEIR GOD.

I think: this would never be tolerated in our beloved country. Until I hear our own governor talk about beheading drug dealers in the public square. Until I hear the Republican front runner advocating the exclusion of an entire people because of their religion. Until I see people forcibly ejected from political gatherings because of their dress or silent protest. Until I see intolerance becoming the mainstay of a political movement - IN - THIS - COUNTRY.

Alas, Maine is no different than other rural states. It’s not hard to go remote in Maine. Many who feel disenfranchised and who feel separated by wealth, education, lineage or clan can find places to live without being challenged to rise to their potential. Of course, it’s not clear cut. The Governor seems to appeal to that person, wherever they live - backwoods or town - who sees little value to decorum and order in the public discourse, whose pep rally mentality is as short sighted as almost any adolescent in the grip of ignorance and ambition. Let us hope that we will see an American conscience arise and bring common sense to the political platform.  At the very least, civil discourse.

Do I believe this? Of course not. But I can dream. There is no power or force that can deny my dreams. And there is no history that can forestall my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment