Saturday, January 2, 2016

DUST TO DUST

The first of a new year is a great time to think of change. It seems like a good place to start over and create a different reality - to resolve to be better somehow. I have never actually made this work, but at least I think about it. Yes, I know that doesn’t count for much. No, seriously, I do think about it. For instance I think about dusting. I think about getting rid of piles of stuff and making this space neater. You see, for me to do these things would require a major personality change. I’m just not interested in such a monumental undertaking.

The thing is, i’m pretty much OK with who I am - even the way that I am. That’s not to say that there is no room for improvement, but I don’t sweat it. I am sure any ad hoc committee of my friends and acquaintances could come up with a list as long as your arm about how I could improve, but to tell you the truth I don’t care. And besides, what do they truly know? And besides #2 - I doubt you could find two people anywhere who would have the least interest in whether or not I “improve”.

I read a line in a Louise Penny novel last week that went something like this: …It’s unfortunate that on the surface, sloth and creativity appear much the same. Anyway, that’s how I justify stacks of this or piles of that and all of it covered in what seems to be an indelible layer of dust. It’s a creative space, I say.

Here’s the thing: I am not going to even attempt or even think of changing a thing in the new year. So now, you don’t have to worry about getting used to loving someone “new”. I promise to be the same opinionated, moderately happy and cautiously optimistic old guy you have always known.

2016, here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment