Monday, November 25, 2013

AMERICA'S FAMILY HOLIDAY

WHETHER IT BE TRUE OR NOT, Thanksgiving is proclaimed by every media outlet, pulpit and I suppose it even resides somewhere in our DNA, to be America's Family Holiday.  

There is much to support this claim.  It isn't a day of gift giving.  It's a day of gathering together as a family, which in an age of such gross dispersion translates into the biggest travel day in the year.  Fewer children live near their parents now than ever.  First they leave for job or college or military service and that's it for the most part for having their lives centered around the family home.

It gets complicated.  Where there are two sets of parents the choice must be made.  Sometimes the choice is easy: your parents are angels and hers are demons.  OK, it could be the other way  around.  And lets go ahead and say it: you just may not like "those" people like the Good Book says you should.  In a best case scenario you manage to see everybody and eat a lot.

I love Stephan Pastis' Pearls Before Swine strip on Sunday.  It's titled: Rat Has Thanksgiving Dinner With His Family. Here's how it goes.  [ I'm not at all certain about the identities of these people but I have assigned them to the roles that seem obvious to me ]  Mother: Before we begin eating, I'd like to go around the table and each say what we're thankful for.  Grandmother: I'm thankful for family and holiday gatherings such as this.  Big sister: I'm thankful for mother nature and all of God's creatures.  Father: I'm thankful for world peace and love and brotherhood.  Rat: I'm thankful I only have to see you all once a year.  Mother: How heartwarming.  Rat: And oh, I like beer.

Before you jump on me with all four feet, I'm only trying to deal with reality here not some mush mush idea that everybody loves everybody.  (Jo Jo it just ain't so). If you extend most any family to the 1st and 2nd cousin brackets you will find people who are "interesting" at best and insufferable at worse.  It's OK.  Not everybody loves you, or me for that matter.  Hmm, that almost got stuck in my throat.

Still, we are drawn to these gatherings by some primordial force to once again be with those who share with us name, history and hope.  It's important.  It's family.  Whether it is your family or the family of someone you love or friends who gather together: it's family and it's important to that deepest part of you that only you can know.   And here I leave you to fill in the blanks according to the stirrings of your own heart.

I wish for each of you this Thanksgiving season love, warmth - the kind that's deeper than fire - and for goodness sake, don't let the day pass without a good tight hug.  Sometimes that alone is worth the price of airfare.

I'm Jerry Henderson
Be Well And Stay Tuned


No comments:

Post a Comment