Thursday, November 28, 2013

REGARDING THANKSGIVING DAY

Date: November 28, 2013 at 8:59 PM
Location: Elmwood Rd, Pownal, ME, United States
Weather: 21° Clear

Regarding Thanksgiving Day:  I like to think that  I am somehow immune to the emotional baggage that comes along with Thanksgiving Day.  I am not.  CA worked last night and therefore had to sleep all day.  So I was actually alone for the day and it felt like it.

On almost any other day It would have been business as usual but this day was different.  I don't know what I expected but I did know something was missing.  Of course, I knew what it was.  I missed family and friends around me.  I was not blind-sided by this at all.  It was on the calendar, so to speak.

I am alone many days without a thought toward being lonely.  Today was different.  History and tradition and the media dictate that one should be with family or friends or both on this of all days.  I am always thinking I am above all those external influences.  But today I am hauled in by the thinnest of emotional threads and beached on the sands of sentimentality.  I was lonely for the sight and sound and touch of someone I loved, and in some fair moment, who might have loved me.  Sometimes it's tough being human, or at least to own up to it.

There was no harm done.  I hauled in some wood for the fires.  I got all sweaty on the treadmill while listening to a great courtroom tale and showered off with extra warm water for an extra long time.  I permitted cocktail hour to begin half an hour earlier than usual.  To hell with those prudes who say NO to drinking alone.  It was a fine moment.

Somehow, I would be reluctant to give up the day as it was.  As the saying goes: "It's an ill wind that blows no good".  It was a good day for collecting truth stones and a few jewels of insight. 

I can imagine next Thanksgiving completely surrounded by people I love and looking for a quiet corner to collect myself in readiness for the next "event" of the day.  Be careful what you wish for....

Sometimes I am simply overcome with gratitude.  How lucky can one man be?




G B Henderson




No comments:

Post a Comment